Heading into our 21st year!
This school year looks to be a bit different than those in the past. Due to large unknowns with school schedules, right now we are not planning on running program in the fall. High Trails will start back up in January, and we are only offering 3 day programs; Monday through Wednesday and Wednesday through Friday.
We’re looking at this change for several reasons – 1) it’s a smaller time commitment than a 4 or 5 day program, which seems prudent as parents and schools look to send students away in a unique world environment. 2) 3 day programs are more affordable, which, given the way the economy is looking right now, may also be a good choice. 3) With a Wednesday through Friday program in place, we can add in a Monday through Wednesday program for $50 less, emphasizing the financial affordability aspect. 4) Finally, not having program in the fall will mean more schools wanting to come to the mountains in the winter and spring, so 3 day programs give us the capacity to accommodate all of our schools.
For 2020/21 we are only offering 3 day programs; Monday through Wednesday and Wednesday through Friday.
Please note that we are not planning to continue a “3 Day Only” program schedule come 2021/22 (unless everyone really likes it….). This is the best solution we can come up with for the 2020/21 school year; one that keeps your students coming up to the mountains (get out of the home and classroom!) and keeps us functioning as a business (can you say 9 month summer break?). IF schools overwhelmingly tell us they require 4 and 5 day programs for this school year, we’ll do our best to listen and find a solution that works for everyone.
Two Stage Enrollment:
Stage One: May 18th-May 31st. A quick 2 weeks to submit your top 4 choices for the schools that want to sign up NOW. We will get back to you with a date by June 5th.
Stage Two: June 1st Onward. Dates are available on a first come, first served basis for schools that aren’t quite ready to think about outdoor education in 2021. AS OF 6/1/2020, ALL ENROLLMENT REQUESTS ARE ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.
Contracts will be sent out with a “sign by” date of September 30th, giving us all time to make sure the world is ready for school and field trips once again.
A sincere THANK YOU to all of our schools, teachers, administrators, parents, students and supporters. This will mark our 21st year of helping students experience nature in the mountains of Southern California.
Site Details: we run program out of two sites, Edwards and Oakes. Two sites give us the volume, scheduling flexibility, and the staffing size to run a consistent and reliable program with reasonable costs. The program is the exact same, however there are differences between the site facilities and locations. If you would PREFER to be at a specific site, please let us know in the notes section of your enrollment form. If you have a NEED to be at a particular site, we can arrange this for an additional cost of $20 per student. You can see this option in the below form.
Pricing Details: what you see below is the basic cost for program at High Trails, which is what works for most schools and is the way we keep our price lower than any of our competitors in Southern California (per our research spring 2018…). As noted on the Program Form, there are options that your school can choose, based upon your specific needs. T-Shirts cost $10 per student, Last Day Hot Lunch costs $4 per student, and Last Day Sack Lunch costs $3 per students. If you would like us to provide Infirmary Supervision, this costs $10 per student (We always provide two medics that take care of illnesses, medications, etc. With the basic cost, schools provide short-term supervision for students that can’t take part in program due to illness or discipline. This way our medic is still ready to respond to health calls). Our medical team consists of WFRs (Wilderness First Responders and EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians). If your school needs an RN or LVN (Registered Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse) to stand in for one of the medics (a rare occurrence, normally when a student is a new diabetic and cannot yet handle supervised self-injection), this costs $300 per program day. If you have questions about these, please check out the Program Form for more details.
You Should Know…
- During Open Enrollment, preference is given to returning schools (you are fantastic!).
- Last year we were able to give 95% of our schools one of their top 3 choices; though this isn’t a promise for the future it is a good indication that we do our best to make our schools happy, both in scheduling and in their experience up here in the mountains.
- It is possible, especially if you choose dates in a popular time frame (March, April and May), that none of the dates you request will be available. If this happens, we will contact you with other options.
- We structure our prices based on the time of year and traditional demand. Higher demand weeks have higher prices. This lets us have a full schedule and run program for the entire school year, which in turn allows us to hire quality staff.
- If you are a new school considering High Trails, sign up early during Open Enrollment and please tell us what you’re looking for in an outdoor education provider. Unless we have an existing relationship with you or your school district, we may request a deposit before scheduling your school.
- Every year we have schools that sign up for dates and then realize, once we have them scheduled, that the dates won’t work. To prevent this, please talk with all of your teachers and check your school calendar for Holidays, Test Dates, and other conflicts before submitting this form
High Trails communicates primarily via email. Please notify us if you would prefer a different method of communication.
The Schools section of our website has complete information for visiting schools and teachers. Site Location scheduling is tentative until all contracts have been returned and our schedule is concrete. Upon request, we will be glad to tell you your tentative site location. If this is your first year at High Trails or if you have all new teachers coming to program, we would be happy to come down to your school and give a presentation to your parents. Our “Welcome to High Trails” letter will be emailed out to each school in early September…this will have complete details to help you prepare for your program visit.