Year 22! Back to “Normal”!
This school year looks to be a bit different than those in the past.
Two Stage Enrollment:
Contracts will be sent out with a “sign by” date of ____________
A sincere THANK YOU to all of our schools, teachers, administrators, parents, students and supporters. This will mark our 21st year of helping students experience nature in the mountains of Southern California.
Site Details: For the last 20 years, we have run program at two sites. This year we are scaling back to run program at one site only, YMCA Camp Oakes.
Pricing Details: what you see below is the basic cost for program at High Trails, which includes food, lodging, and instruction for students. As noted on the Program Form, there are options that your school can choose, based upon your specific needs. T-Shirts cost $10 per student, Last Day Hot Lunch costs $4 per student, and Last Day Sack Lunch costs $3 per students. If you would like us to provide Infirmary Supervision, this costs $10 per student (We always provide two medics that take care of illnesses, medications, etc. With the basic cost, schools provide short-term supervision for students that can’t take part in program due to illness or discipline. This way our medic is still ready to respond to health calls). Our medical team consists of WFRs (Wilderness First Responders or EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians), and an RN or LVN (Registered Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse). If you have questions about these, please check out the Program Form for more details.
You Should Know…
- During Open Enrollment, preference is given to returning schools (you are fantastic!).
- Last year we were able to give 95% of our schools one of their top 3 choices; though this isn’t a promise for the future it is a good indication that we do our best to make our schools happy, both in scheduling and in their experience up here in the mountains.
- It is possible, especially if you choose dates in a popular time frame (March, April and May), that none of the dates you request will be available. If this happens, we will contact you with other options.
- We structure our prices based on the time of year and traditional demand. Higher demand weeks have higher prices. This lets us have a full schedule and run program for the entire school year, which in turn allows us to hire quality staff.
- If you are a new school considering High Trails, sign up early during Open Enrollment and please tell us what you’re looking for in an outdoor education provider. Unless we have an existing relationship with you or your school district, we may request a deposit before scheduling your school.
- Every year we have schools that sign up for dates and then realize, once we have them scheduled, that the dates won’t work. To prevent this, please talk with all of your teachers and check your school calendar for Holidays, Test Dates, and other conflicts before submitting this form
High Trails communicates primarily via email. Please notify us if you would prefer a different method of communication.
The Schools section of our website has complete information for visiting schools and teachers. Site Location scheduling is tentative until all contracts have been returned and our schedule is concrete. Upon request, we will be glad to tell you your tentative site location. If this is your first year at High Trails or if you have all new teachers coming to program, we would be happy to come down to your school and give a presentation to your parents. Our “Welcome to High Trails” letter will be emailed out to each school in early September…this will have complete details to help you prepare for your program visit.